The Handy grid Method

     In my art class, we are drawing using the "grid method" for most of our projects. now at first, I was completely not excited about the idea because it was new to me. but in actuality, believe it or not, its extremely helpful! it is an extremely inexpensive way to enlarge or shrink your art. it's not as easy as using a projector, but it does help with your observation skills, and in the long run will help with your overall drawing skills. if you want to use the grid method take a photograph, draw a grid on it, and on the piece of paper your drawing on. now for my current project, I'm working on I had to take a picture of a leaf since its fall and all. but on the photograph itself, I drew a 1 by a 1-inch grid and a 2 by a 2-inch grid on my drawing paper because of the size. but the grid size determines by the size of the paper, here's an example;

https://www.joshuanava.biz/colored-pencil/materials-bvs.html
     The grid method does take some time. Just remember to draw your grid lightly, most preferred with an HB or lighter. make sure to use a ruler and an a assortment of supplies. i prefer printing out the picture in black and white when drawing with pencil. the black in white helps to determine the shade and outlines between the picture as a whole. But once you get your initial outline finished. You can erase the graph, which should be easy if you drew the grid light.
     I think that the hardest part about the grid method would have to be when you draw the first outline. you want it to be exact because after all, you are just enlarging the original image. I'm pretty new to the grid method, so it does take me some time. but I would imagine once it becomes regular I would be more fluent at drawing the graph and outline.
     personally, shading is my favorite. shading is what brings a drawing life. For my leaf drawing, I am using a technique called stippling, which also takes time and patience but it's very worth it in the long run.
     so maybe you should, for your next project use the grid method, I'm sure it will be helpful if you have trouble with copying a photo onto paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

find your style! part 1

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ― Pablo Picasso

telling a story through dance pt.1